Qeej prices normally fall between $500 and $2,000 depending on size, maker, and region, as crafting a qeej is extremely labor intesive and takes years of experience to do well. Take $100 off this price (the cost of shipping) if you pick up this qeej in person in Wiconsin–email me to set up a time–this is recommended, so that you can try it out.
These are NOT stock photos—this is the ACTUAL qeej that you will receive. This qeej is brand new, made in 2021 by artisan Nplia Muas from Hà Giang, Vietnam; it still has its bamboo and wood smells, and is a great sounding qeej:
- Reeds are an alloy of silver and various copper alloys—namely brass and bronze, similar to "white-brass"
- Wood is fitted very well with very straight bamboo, so the qeej does not leak air at all
- Beautifully waxed wood with dark vine bark banding (thiv) and very uniform colored bamboo, with minimal markings/discoloration.
Meausuring from the taub, as Hmoob in Xieng Khouang province and westward do, this qeej is "5 dos ntev." Measuring the entire qeej, as Hmoob artisans in Hà Giang, the rest of Vietnam, and eastern Laos do, this qeej is "6 dos ntxhais ntev."
This is the traditional style of the Hmoob Dawb in Hà Giang, Vietnam and thus have:
- Straight ntiv–"normal" for qeej from Central and Eastern Vietnam–unlike the curved qeej ntiv from Laos and western Vietnam
- No thiv on the ends of each ntiv
- Ntiv not perpendicular to the taub, but rather angled downward
- Has only two nplaim on the ntiv luav, as opposed to three nplaim—seven nplaim total, as opposed to eight.
In the recent decade, plastic mouthpieces have become a trend in Hà Giang, if you would like me to include a brass mouthpiece, please let me know in the notes during checkout, or via email after. I will include the rounded mouthpiece free of charge, but you will have to shape and install it yourself—you will need to taper the shape of the brass into the fitted size for the wooden kos qeej.
Qeej Hmoob Nyab Laj, Hà Giang (6dos)
Take $100 off the total price if you pick up in person (recommended). This qeej will be shipped priority 2–3 days, insured, and with signature confirmation required. Every reeds on each respective pipe will be individually wrapped in paper for protection. Furthermore, each pipe is individually wrapped in bubblewrap, as well as the windchamber. In the unlikely case that the qeej arrives cracked, I will require you return it before issuing a refund—return shipping will be provided by me.